Emergency Contraception

I had unprotected sex and was wondering if I can get Plan B and how much would it cost?

Question: I had unprotected sex and i was wondering if I can get Plan B from Family Planning? If, so how much would it cost? I’m 17 years old so does a parent have to come along with me. To get Plan B do I need an appointment?

Answer:  Emergency Contraception (Plan B) needs to be taken as soon as possible, along with testing for sexually transmitted infections.

Although we encourage parents to be a part of your appointment at Family Planning, it is not a requirement.  If you do not want to use your parents insurance, cost will be determined using a sliding fee scale.  If you are an unemployed student without documentation of family income, Family Planning Association would assign you to the furthest side of our scale. FPA services are available to you at little or no cost and you would never be turned away because of inability to pay; we do accept donations.

Family Planning Association holds Teen Clinic Mondays and alternate between the Painesville (440-352-0608) and Ashtabula (440-992-5953) locations.  Today, Monday, December 12 Teen Clinic will be held at the Painesville location; you can either arrive at the start of Teen Clinic (3:00 PM)  and sign up for one of the limited number of walk-in appointments or call  to make an appointment to ensure you will be seen.



Question: Is it possible to get the abortion pill from your company? If it is possible, would parent consent be required?

Question: Is it possible to get the abortion pill from your company? If it is possible, would parent consent be required?

Answer:  Family Planning does not provide abortion services.  We do provide all-options counseling for women who test positive for pregnancy so that they can make an informed choice.  Depending on your situation you may be able to consider emergency contraception – this is a high dose of birth control pill (not the abortion pill) that a woman can take up to 3 days after having unprotected sex to help reduce her risk of getting pregnant.  We do have Plan B available at Family Planning; you can also get it over the counter at most drug stores/ pharmacies at any age.  If the unprotected sex was up to 5 days ago you may be able to get an IUD inserted called ParaGard.  This particular birth control method works very effectively as emergency contraception if within 5 days, and can be left in for up to 10 years for continuing birth control.  If these are not an option, you should consider making an appointment to see a health care provider and get a pregnancy test – to do this with Family Planning please call 440-352-0608 and hear about your options whether the test is positive or negative.  If you are already positive that you are pregnant, abortion services are available in Cuyahoga County (you cannot get these services in Lake, Geauga, or Ashtabula Counties).  You can make an appointment with them to discuss your options as well, however you will need consent from one parent if you are under the age of 18.  Minors are able to obtain judicial court by-pass for certain circumstances, and a counselor at one of these clinics would help you with that process as well.  For referral resources and further information, please call Family Planning at 440-352-0608 to schedule an appointment at any of our four locations.