Question: What are the different types of birth control and how old to you have to be to be able to revive them?
Answer: There are five different types of birth control:
- Abstinence – refraining from oral, anal and vaginal sex is the only 100% effective at preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hormonal – prevents pregnancy by absorbing man-made hormones that will either either prevent or delay ovulation, build cervical mucous and interferes with uterine lining from building (arm implant, hormonal IUD, shot, ring, patch and pill)
- Chemical – Spermicide paralyzes sperm and prevents pregnancy (Copper IUD, spermicide alone [jelly, cream, suppositories, film] and diaphragms used with spermicide)
- Fertility Awareness – tracking monthly menstrual cycle (natural family planning, tracking basil temperature, calendar awareness and cycle beads)
- Barrier – internal and external condoms (male or female condoms) prevent pregnancy and STIs
If you are interested any of the above contraceptive methods, please call either the Painesville or Ashtaubla FPA clinic to make an appointment to discuss your options.