New symptoms

I am married and practice safe sex….my periods are regular and always on time. My periods usually last between 4 and 5 days., but for the past week I have been experiencing greenish brown discharge vaginaly. I was just wondering if I should be concerned because this has never happened before. The discharge doesnt smell and it isn’t lumpy or anything, please e mail me back if you have any ideas.
thank you”

A: Since we are not physicians and cannot give out specific medical advice, there is no way to say for sure what this is. I understand you are in a monogamous relationship, but sometimes vaginal infections occur. Since this is a new symptom and something unusual for you, it sounds like you should be examined by your physician for signs of an infection.

If I’m sure I have Chlamydia, do I still need to be tested?

If Im sure I have chlamydia, do I still need to be tested in order to receive antibiotics to treat it? I’m displaying all of the symptoms and my recent ex girlfriend came back positive for it.”

A: “You would need to bring a copy of your ex girlfriends positive test result with you to your appointment in order to receive treatment. If you cannot get a copy of this document you will be tested at your appointment.”

I’ve had unprotected sex with a man who has herpes..

 “I have had unprotected sex with a man who has herpes. I have some questions. What tests are available to be certain I didn’t get the virus? What are the potential signs/symptoms I should look for? How long does it take to find out if I have been infected or how long is the potential risk period of it showing up?”

A: “Health care providers can diagnose genital herpes by visual inspection and by taking a sample of the fluid from the sore. A blood test is available to detect the herpes virus, however, this test can not tell the difference between Herpes simplex 1 (the herpes virus that causes cold sores/fever blisters) and Herpes simplex 2 (the virus that causes genital herpes). Typical signs and symptoms of a herpes infection include the appearance of one or more blisters on or around the genitals. The first outbreak usually occurs within two weeks aftr the virus is transmitted. In the future, always use protection consistently and correctly to reduce the risk of contracting or spreading sexually transmitted infections.”

I’m worried…

“I was showering today and i noticed a piece of skin from my vagina it doesnt hurt or bleed. I felt inside and realized its not normal. Its inflammed a lot and i dont know what it is. It doesnt burn or itch. I didnt know it was like that but i know it hasnt been like that a whole month. What could it be? What do i need to do to fix this. Can i come in? please help im worried.”

A: If you are having problems we recommend calling and making an appointment. It is hard to diagnose the problem until you see a physician.

I think I might have an STD…

“i had sex last weekend with 2 guys but it was a mistake and i feel weeird i think i might have and std..theres burning and itching alot of itching?..and i dont think there is anything else but should i get a check up with out my parents knowing?…how much is it to get a checkup??”

A: “I strongly urge you to contact Family Planning at 440-992-5953 and schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Any kind of burning or itching in the genital area is not normal. The sooner you get treatment the better. All of our services are confidential which means unless we have your written permission, we can not tell anybody you were here, why you were here, etc. Also, our services are based on a sliding fee scale or according to your income.”

I think I may have a yeast infection in my throat?

I think I may have a yeast infection in my throat. What are the symptoms and how do you treat them?”

A: “A yeast infection is the name for a common infection caused by a type of yeast-like fungus called Candida. These infections usually occur in warm, moist parts of the body, such as the mouth and moist areas of skin. Common symptoms of yeast infections include itching and irritation in the vagina, redness, swelling, or itching of the vulva (the folds of skin outside the vagina), a thick, white discharge that can look like cottage cheese and pain or burning when urinating or during sex. Only a doctor can make a positive diagnosis. If you are experiencing any abnormal symptoms, make an appointment with your family physician to be checked out.”

I have a lump on my breast, should I have it checked out?

“I have a very noticeable lump on my left breast. I do not have health insurance. Is this something serious that I should have checked out?”

A: “Yes. You will want to follow up with your health care provider or the Family Planning Association to determine if the lump is benign or something more serious. Some health care providers offer discounted rates for patients that are uninsured. You can contact your provider to see if discounts are offered. The Family Planning Association provides services based on a sliding fee scale according to income and family size. Therefore you may not have a charge.

I have a bump near my vagina…

I have a bump near my vagina. At first, I thought it was an ingrown hair but it hasn’t gone away for weeks. I’ve researched about the different types of ovarian cysts but I don’t think that’s it either. I’m not sure if it’s caused by sex and I don’t want my mom knowing that I’ve had sex. Should i come Family Planning or can you suggest another place I can go for care.”

A: “Family Planning provides confidential reproductive health care services. We do encourage our clients to share their decision to come to Family Planning with their parent or guardian but we also understand that sometimes this isn’t always possible. It is a good idea to contact a health care provider to determine what they bump might be. You can make an appointment with Family Planning or your health care provider.”

I found bumps on my testicle, do I need to see a doctor?

I performed the testicle check like posted, my left testicle has bumps on the back of it. and my testicle is kind of sore, but this isn’t always the case yesterday, it was perfectly fine, but it has done this several other times, i didn’t know if i needed to see a doctor or not?”

A: “Performing monthly testicular exams is a very effective way of getting to know what is normal and what is not normal when it comes to your testicles. Only a doctor can make a postive or negative diagnosis regarding any chnages you may have noticed. If you think something is wrong or something has changed, make an appointment with your family physician or a urologist to get checked out.”

I found a bump on my penis?

“I found this bump on my penis it’s right below the tip but on the back side it’s very small and seems to be slightly irritated, any speculations? My mom said it didn’t look like much but I’d like a 2nd opinion.”

A: “You can contact the Family Planning Association or your health care provider to schedule an appointment to get some answers and put your mind at ease.”