Cost of birth control with Insurance

Question: I want to get on birth control and I’m wondering how much it will cost or if my insurance company will pay for all of it. My insurance provider is Wellcare.

Answer: If you have Wellcare,  Family Planning will bill Wellcare for you birth control. Wellcare would then let you know if you need to pay anything additional for your birth control.

Hours, Insurance and Implanon (Now Nexplanon)

Question: I was just wondering about your hours that you are open. Also with implanon what needs to be done in order to receive that birth control. Also how much would it cost I currently have apex insurance but will soon have CIGNA.

Answer: We are open Monday-Friday, and we are open 1 Saturday every month at both Painesville and Ashtabula. Typically, Mondays and Thursday hours are 11:00 am- 7:00 pm.   Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday hours are 8:30-4:30 pm.  Someone interested in the implant which is now called Nexplanon instead of Implanon would need to come in for an exam first, and would be tested for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia before setting up an appointment to get Nexplanon inserted.  If you have insurance,  Family Planning would bill your insurance to cover the cost of the device.  If you’re interested in learning more about cost, I would recommend calling us at 440-352-0608 to make an appointment.

Birth Control Exam

Question: I was wondering at my brith control exam is my boyfriend allowed to be in the room? Im really nervous and having his support is important to me.

Answer: Typically, the nurse sees patients alone for exams. If a patient is under 21, the exam will not include a full pelvic exam or pap test. The nurse usually does a visual check before administering birth control. If you’d really feel more comfortable, you can bring your boyfriend and explain to the staff that you’d like him to be there with you.

Birth Control Initial Appointment

Question: Hi…I was wondering what an appointment is like if someone wants to start birth control. I know a pap test isn’t mandatory if you’re not 21…but is a full physical needed?

Answer: You are correct, a pap test is no longer required for someone to start birth control.  The patient will remove their clothing and wear a gown, and the nurse will check the heart and lungs, and will do a visual check to make sure there are no abnormal symptoms. If you have any more questions about the process, please call us at 440-352-0608.


Question: Do you help women who may have endometriosis?

Answer: At Family Planning, we can see women with endometriosis. We do not have the equipment to officially diagnose endometriosis, but we can provide treatment to help with pain that someone might be experiencing. If you’d like to come in for an exam and speak with a nurse about symptoms that are occurring, please call us at 440-352-0608.

Bleeding on the Pill

Question: I was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen 28 about a month ago, I started taking the pills the day I got them at the office. I was supposed to start my period on March 28th, but I didn’t due to the pills. Around April 2nd I started bleeding, and I wasn’t onto the green pills yet. It definitely wasn’t spotting, it’s been quite a bit of blood, I’ve gone through tampons in an hour. I’ve also had very severe cramps, though they haven’t been constant, just sudden pressure about every 10-15 minutes. Is there something wrong?

A: As educators, we are unable to tell you for sure if something is wrong. Break-thru-bleeding on the pill is spotting/bleeding when you don’t expect your period. It is possible for this to occur during the first 3 months of starting birth control pills. Since you are experiencing severe cramping as well as bleeding, I would recommend calling us at Family Planning to speak to a nurse about what you’re experiencing. 440-352-0608

I forgot to go for my depo injection?

“I forgot to go for my depo injection. Im like 12 days late will this make me pregnant or should I just go and get it. How long after your due date can you go for the next depo or should i go on the date they give me?”

A: “Anytime a birth control method is used incorrectly there is a risk for pregnancy. Please contact your health care provider for additional information regarding your specific situation.”

How would I go about getting a vasectomy and who do I go to?

How would I go about getting a vasectomy and who do i go to?”

A: “Vasectomy is a long-term, low-cost choice for contraception and should be considered permanent. Urologists perform most vasectomies. By contacting a urologist in your area you will be able to discuss the procedure and determine whether or not it is the best option for you.”

How to start natural family planning?

“I would like to know the exact steps that i should take when first tring to do the natural family planning my piriod comes some what irregular seince i started to check my cycle these are the days that they have come 11-27-06, 1-15-07, 2-22-07 and last 4 to 5 days in between. please help me”

A: Not being familiar with your medical history, it is difficult to give you an exact answer. Generally you need to begin by charting your cycles for at least 3-6 months. Natural Family Planning involves checking calendar days, charting temperature changes, and noting discharges in vaginal discharge. There are many books and websites you can refer to give you more specific information. We’d also advise consulting your physician to make sure this method is appropriate for you.

How old do you have to be to go on the pill?

How old do you have to be to go on the pill?”

A: “There is not a specific age for a woman to start using the birth control pill. If you are interested in starting a birth control method like the pill contact your health care provider or the Family Planning Association to make an appointment to discuss your options.”